Common questions about the National Student Government Summit.
1. Will I have time to lobby on Capitol Hill?
Yes! We build in time all day Thursday, Friday morning, Friday afternoon and all day Monday (OPTIONAL) for you to go to Capitol Hill and meet with your Senators and Representatives. If you stay at the official conference hotel, the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, you can walk to the U.S. Capitol in five minutes!
2. Will we have time to sight-see while we’re in DC?
Yes! If you arrive early on Thursday, you’ll have the whole day to see D.C.
You’ll also have free time on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoons! The new hotel is just five minutes from the U.S. Capitol. You can walk to everything– museums, restaurants, and monuments!
3. If I’m by myself, will I “fit in?”
Yes! You’ll easily connect with other student leaders and advisors. ASGA’s popular “Connector Cards” help you break the ice and get ideas and exchange information from other students and advisors. You’ll get to meet them during workshops, breaks, at lunch, sightseeing, and at the hotel. You won’t be lonely!
4. Are any meals included?
Yes! Your registration fee includes:
1. Two free lunches: A Friday hot sit-down lunch and a Saturday lunch at the Union Station food court
2. Three free breakfasts: A light continental breakfast on Friday (coffee, juice, tea, along with selection of danish, muffins, and fruit), and breakfast at Union Station on Saturday and Sunday (many choices in the food court)
3. Free “ASGA Loves Advisors” reception on Thursday (open bar and hot food)
4. Free reception on Thursday night
5. Can I change the names of our registrants if someone can’t make it?
Yes! You can change the names anytime. See Register.
6. Is the hotel easy to get to?
7. Can you help me find a roommate at the conference hotel?
Yes! If you are looking for a roommate, write firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, gender, e-mail, arrival and departure date, and any special requests.
8. Will I need a rental car?
No! You’ll be five minutes from everything, including museums, the U.S. Capitol, and restaurants. Once in DC, you’ll be able to walk nearly everywhere.
Also, DC is very commuter friendly, so you can take the Metro just about anywhere. Taxis also are plentiful.
9. What is the best way to get to the hotel?
The cheapest way is to take the D.C. Metro from Reagan National Airport. The Metro is also available from Dulles International Airport, but you have to connect with a bus first that will take you to a Metro stop. See Travel and Directions.
10. Do I have to be an ASGA member to come to the conference?
No! Many non-member schools attend ASGA conferences. However, ASGA members do save $100 per person at this event. Annual ASGA dues are just $397 for schools under 4,000 full-time students, $597 for schools with 4,001 to 10,000 students, $897 for schools with 10,001 to 20,000 students, and only $1,097 annually for schools with over 20,000 full-time students. If you’re bringing a group of four or more students, it always makes sense to join ASGA and get the $100 per person discount! Plus, ASGA membership can help your SG all year! See Join ASGA.
11. Where can we eat and not spend a fortune?
If you stay at the official conference hotel, you’ll be within walking distance of literally 100 restaurants, everything from pizza to upscale French cuisine. You don’t have to spend a fortune on food. Union Station offers restaurants of all price ranges, including fast food.
Remember, three light breakfasts, two lunches, and two receptions are included in your registration fees, but dinners are on your own. See Experience DC!
12. What type of schools attend?
All types and sizes of schools come to the National Student Government Summit. There usually are a few more private colleges and universities than public universities and community colleges. But that’s only because there are more private colleges across the nation than any other type of institution!
13. How many schools attend?
Usually, about 550-750 students and administrators from 120-150 institutions of all types and sizes attend. From 30-50 states and several nations are represented, and there are usually about an equal number of community colleges, private institutions, and public institutions
14. What’s included in our registration fee?
Nearly 100 workshops and roundtables, all handouts, two lunches (a Friday sit-down hot lunch and a lunch at Union Station on Saturday), three breakfasts (coffee/tea, juice, bagels, muffins, fruit at the hotel Friday and choice of breakfast at Union Station), a free reception, a free ASGA Loves Advisors reception, and a surprise gift for each delegation. See Conference Fees.
15. How should I dress?
This is the recommended attire for each day of the conference:
• Thursday — Business casual
• Friday — Business
• Saturday — College/University shirts & jeans
• Sunday — College/University shirts & jeans
16. Can I see the schedule and workshops in advance?
Yes! Click on Program. It is updated constantly with any changes or improvements to the program.
17. Is Internet free at the conference hotel?
Yes! In 2023, all guests staying at the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill will get free Internet (normally $14.95 per day).
Have other questions? Contact ASGA at email@example.com or call toll-free 877-275-2742.